/ Tardis

Audio player [2]: Tardis tissue box cover

If you read my first article on the audio player, you already now that it was meant to be a connected Tardis.

Tardis_BBC_Television_Center

Please note that I'm not trying to create an accurate copy of a Tardis.

Blue box assembly

But when I looked for a box with a ratio of a Tardis, I found a wooden tissue box that inspired me : the Tardis will not only be a connected-useless thingy, but a tissue box :)
IMG_20161112_163947

The space between the tissue box and the bottom cover of the box was quite small. I had to create a flat PCB.

To transform it into a Tardis, I created two windows on each side.
IMG_20161112_192134

I also bought a wooden sheet to create some grid like each face of the Tardis.
IMG_20161112_164014
IMG_20161112_171233
IMG_20161112_180137

I created to LED string to add a LED in each window.
Please note that I don't remember if I respect the 1/4W limit of the resistor.
If I had to do a second version of the Tardis, I will use SMD LEDs and fix them on the bottom of each window.
IMG_20161112_235850
IMG_20161112_235858

I used a tracing paper for the windows (later I will add a transparent plastic sheet)
IMG_20161113_000117

It was time to check if the pulse mode of the tardis was working with the real circuit and a tissue box inside the cover !

After that, I glued the faces, and added a small border on each side and on the bottom (by adding layers of wooden sheet).
IMG_20161203_192452

It began to look like a Tardis !

And after three layers of blue paint...
IMG_20161206_231754

Circuit

The details of the circuit is available in my previous blog post.

To simplify the circuit, I used a Wemos D1 mini; it is used as main power supply throught the USB port, and it's smaller that a NodeMCU board.
To control the LED pulse without burning, I used a small mosfet, the 2N7000. It was quite a challenge ! If all was working on the breadboard, after beeing soldered, it stopped working (some current was always passing through, letting the LED always on).
I tried many times, but it was always the same: the mosfet wasn't working as expected. At the end, I added a small 3 pin female header, and I put the mosfet in it. Ugly but it get the job done.
IMG_20161225_174034
IMG_20161225_174022

Final result

With a little MQTT message to put the light on, and play a sound.